Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Thankful Thursday (except it's Wednesday :-)

Have you seen the Gratitude challenge that's making its way around Facebook? Many of my friends have chosen to post one thing daily they are thankful for. While I'm not officially joining the challenge, I'm making a one-day exception. Today is my due date, and there is much to be thankful for.

  • I'm thankful that my body has been up to the task of carrying this sweet little person for the past 40 weeks. All indicators say she's healthy and active. Praise God for this miracle!
  • I'm thankful for the freedom to plan my birth according to my own wishes. Most women around the world don't have this luxury, so I'm not taking for granted that I've been able to weigh my options and make informed decisions about my own health care and that of my children.
  • I'm thankful for the wonderful care givers who have looked after us. Hillary, our midwife, has provided the most personal, gentle care, and I cannot wait to have her attend our birth. Dr. Tony has made sure my body is in tip-top shape for birthing, and his encouragement and extra care in these past few weeks has been such a source of comfort. He's as anxious as we are to welcome our little one into the world (and start her chiropractic care!). There are unnamed lab technicians, ultrasound techs, nurses and insurance company employees who have each contributed to the success of my care. I'm grateful that God has gifted each one of them with specialized knowledge and the passion to share it with us.
  • I'm so very thankful for the wonderful friends who have supported our family during this pregnancy. Our freezer has meals waiting in it already, thanks to the ladies in my bible study group. I was blessed by a small but mighty group of friends at my Mother's Blessing a few weeks back, and having them pray over me was very moving. There have been emails and facebook comments of encouragement. Some have even taken Aaron for a play date so I could rest when needed. I have an amazing support network!
  • Our church family has diligently covered us in prayer. Since announcing our pregnancy just after Easter, our names and due date have been listed among the prayer needs in our weekly bulletin, and these needs are also prayed for during our worship service. What a blessing to have church family who takes seriously the privilege of prayer! To be a part of a covenant community, where we are truly invested in doing life together, is such a special gift. Thank you, Lord, for Westminster Presbyterian Church, and for leading our family to join their flock.
I'm looking forward to the gratitude that will come after labor and birth. It's so easy to get caught up today in the discomfort of pregnancy and the anxiety of waiting, but I'm choosing instead to let my heart sing... "Praise God from whom all blessings flow..."

No comments: